Have you been in a car crash? Here is our Coonan Morgan Solicitors checklist for what you should do if you are in a car crash. Download our PDF at the bottom of the page and keep a copy in your glove box.
Statistically the majority of road traffic accidents happen on the roads where drivers are most familiar. Should you or one of your loved ones be involved in a road traffic accident here is our step by step check list to assist in any future claims.
Road Traffic Accident Check List
- Make sure you and any other parties are OK. If there are any injuries request an ambulance. If injured DO NOT leave the scene without notifying the ambulance or Gardai.
- Note the registration, make and model of any other vehicles involved
- Get the name and address of any other drivers involved
- Note the policy number of the other parties insurance policy
- Immediately contact the Gardai if –
- the other party attempt to leave the scene
- if you are injured
- if the other party has no insurance or admits to driving a stolen vehicle
- Photograph the accident and scene
- DO NOT admit liability at the scene of the accident
- Aquire the names addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses and request that they write down a record of what has happened while it is still fresh in their mind
- Write your account of what happened and draw a sketch of the road and how it happened while it is fresh in your mind
- Take notes of the area, or street names where the accident occurred, the time and flow of traffic
- Keep a record and receipts of all expenses occurred as a result of the accident
- Monitor your progress following an accident, sometimes an injury will not manifest until after the accident, make sure to contact your GP if this happens